Monday, October 3, 2016

Powerful

"Kevin had a remarkable capacity to hold tension and hold his own opinion while making room for the opinions of others," Rev. Meg Jenista Kuykendall said. "He was so stinking good at loving people. He made life fun."
His absence was keenly felt, with many who spoke acknowledging that the question "why" was ringing in everyone's heads and hearts. This was particularly true during the Heidelberg Catechism, which contains the line, "that not a hair can fall from my head without the will of my Father in heaven."
"If that phrase caught in your throat after the events of last week, you are not alone," Kuykendall said. "If you balled up your fist and gritted your teeth as you said it, so did I. I couldn't claim to be a Christian with any semblance of integrity without permission to grieve, to question and to doubt."
Feeling sorrow and anger is not an absence of faith, Kuykendall said. She read Psalms 13, one of many biblical passages expressing lament. It ends with the line, "But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing the Lord's praise,for he has been good to me.
"The psalm doesn't end with a polite lie, but an acknowledgement of pain," she said. "This is terrible, and God is good. The end for us is new, eternal life for Kevin. That is the hope we are holding onto, or rather, the hope that is holding onto us."

Full article Can be found at the link below. 
http://www.hollandsentinel.com/news/20161003/remembering-kevin-witte-teacher-coach-honored-in-funeral-service

No comments:

Post a Comment